Income Tax Department issues notice for not filing of Income Tax Return and taxpayer is required to submit is response or reply to such notices. Income Tax Department send these notices by emails or by SMS and the taxpayer is required to reply by his income tax e- filing account, no need of personal presence is required.
The steps required to follow by taxpayers for replying notices received from income tax department are:
Step 1: Firstly, you have to Login to your e- filing account at incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in with your username and password. If you are new, then you have to register yourself.
Step 2: Now click on Compliance Menu Tab and after clicking on this you can view about your non- filing status.
Step 3: Now click on ‘View and Submit Compliance’ to submit your reply. (you can also find another option ‘View my submission’ if you already submitted your reply then you can view it by clicking on that option.)
Step 4: Now you can find three options:
- E-sahyog : This tab is useful when IT department sent you a notice regarding any mis- matches. It may not be applicable for non- filing cases.
- Filing of income tax return : This tab is to update your response and reason for not filing your income tax return for a specific assessment year.
In response you can write either you have filed ITR after receiving the notice or ITR has not been filed.
The reasons for not filing ITR are:
- Return is under preparation
- No taxable income
- Business has been closed
- Related information summary.
This tab will consist details about the third party information received by the Income Tax Department.
For example: if you made a Fixed Deposit with your bank and they would have deducted TDS on them, then you have to mention whether this information relates to yourself and the source of such income or expenditure.
The taxpayer is required to choose any one of the following options:
- Self-investment/ expenditure is out of exempt income.
- Self-investment/ expenditure is out of accumulated savings.
- Self-investment/ expenditure is out of gifts/ loans from others.
- Self-investment/ expenditure is out of foreign income.
- Self-income from transaction is exempt.
- Self-income from transaction is below taxable limit.
- Self-income from transaction relates to different Assessment Year.
- Self-not known.
- Other PAN
- Not known
- I need more information.
After providing the entire information required click on “Submit” button and proceed for further.
Step 4: After submitting the response to department you will receive the acknowledgement number on your registered mobile number.
Step 5: If you want to check your status of your response, then click on ‘compliance tab’ and then on ‘view my submission’.
Step 6: The response submitted by you will be verified by the Income Tax Department and if found satisfactory the case will be closed. You can also download your response by clicking on ‘response PDF’. If you want to check your response status with department then click on ‘Compliance Ask Number’.