Now GSTR-4 form is not required to file quarterly by the taxpayer registered under composition scheme, taxpayer can file GSTR-4 Annually. Form GSTR-4 (Annual Return for Composition Taxpayers) is now available on the GST portal.
What is GSTR-4 Annual Return?
Taxpayers Registered under composition scheme is required to file GSTR-4 Annual Return with effect from 1st April, 2019, on annual basis, for each financial year. Despite of filing Quarterly return under composition scheme taxpayer now require to file GST-4 only at once, Annual basis. Under this return taxpayer is required to file the details of its business regarding summary of outward supplies, Inward supplies, tax payable thereon etc. Such taxpayers are also required to report summary of import of services and supplies attracting reverse charge etc.
Who need to file GSTR-4 Annual Return?
All registered taxpayers who have opted for composition scheme or were under composition scheme under Goods and Service Tax, for any period during a financial year, starting from 01.04.2019, need to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return, annually.
Who can file NIL Form GSTR-4 Annual Return
Taxpayer can file Nil GSTR-4 form Annual Return for the financial year, in case taxpayer:
- NOT made any outward supply
- NOT received any goods/services
- Have NO other liability to report
- Have filed all Form CMP-08 as NIL
Due date of Filing
|Return||Due Date||Extended Due Date for F.Y 2019-2020|
|GSTR-4||30th April of next financial Year||31st August 2020|
The due date for filing Form GSTR-4 Annual Return is 30th of the month succeeding the financial year or as extended by Government, from time to time. For FY 2019-20, it has to be filed by 31/08/2020.
What has Change
|Period of Tax||Before F.Y 2018-19||After F.Y 2019-20|
|Quarterly||Composition taxpayer has to file return on quarterly basis in Form of GSTR-4||No need of filing quarterly return. Only a statement is required to be filed in Form GST CMP-08.|
|Annually||The annual return is optional for filing in Form GSTR-9A||Annual return is mandatory to be filed in Form GSTR-4.|
Points require to consider before filing GSTR-4 Annual Return
- Taxpayer must have been registered in the relevant financial year under composition scheme even for a day during the financial year is require to file GSTR-4 Annual Return.
- Form GSTR 4 can be filed only if, all applicable quarterly statements in Form CMP 08 of that financial year, have been filed.
- Taxpayer require to file GSTR-4 Annual Return before the due date i.e. 30th of April of next financial year. For F.Y. 2019-2020 due date has been extended to 31 August 2020
- Form GSTR-4 Annual Return, once filed, can’t be revised
Process of Filing GSTR-4
Login to your dashboard with your GST number, click on Services>Returns>Annual Return>Select FY>Search>GSTR-4>FILE THE RETURN
*Note: Currently only the online filing has been enabled on the portal. Shortly, offline tool to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return will also be made available.