The term food industries covers a series of industrial activities directed at the production, distribution, processing, conversion, preparation, preservation, transport, certification, and packaging of foodstuffs. Any individual or an entity who wants to start a business in the food sector, has to register for Food Safety and Standard Authority of India FSSAI.
Following individuals or entities must obtain FSSAI Registration or License:
- All types of Food Manufacturer
- Food Packaging unit.
- Food Storage unit.
- Wholesale food business operators.
- Food Traders
- Online Food Business Operator.
- Caters or Hotel Raw food material suppliers.
- Exporter and importer of food products.
- Transporter and distributors.
- Food Product retailers.
Why is FSSAI Registration required?
FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License is different to each other depending upon the size and nature of the business. Every food business operator involved in the production, distribution, processing, conversion, preparation, preservation, transport, certification and packaging of food products must compulsorily obtain FSSAI Registration or License.
It is a 14 digit numeric registration number that is printed on all the food products under which individual or entity is dealing.
Types of FSSAI License:
There are three types of Food License:
Based upon the Annual Turnover, food business operator has to apply for FSSAI registration and the details for the following are given below
Documents required for FSSAI Registration:
- Duly filled and signed application form
- Passport size photographs
- Identity proof of Applicant (Food business operator)
- Proof of property ownership
- Address proof
- Business Address proof
- Rent Agreement (If the property is rented)
- Food safety management system plan
- List of food items to be used
- Certificate of Incorporation (In case of Company)
- A List of all machinery
- Report of a water test
- No Objection Certificate from the local municipality
- Import/Export code
- The MOA and AOA of the business (In case of Company)
- A List of Directors (In case of Company)
- A List of Partners(In case of partnership firm)
- List of all food categories.
Who issues the Food License?
The FSSAI license is issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority in India under the State Government or Central Government. FSSAI new registration can also be applied online. The issue of a state or central food license depends on the scale of your business operations.
Validity of Food License:
The food license issued to the food business operator is valid for 1 year to 5 years. Government fees of the FSSAI registration vary as per the tenure of the FSSAI License.
Fees for applying food license:
Basic application fees: Rs 100
Central application fees: Rs 7500
State application fees: Rs 2000-3000
Benefits of procuring FSSAI food license:
There are major two benefits for obtaining a food license such as legal benefits and business expansion and other benefits can be described as building goodwill, ensuring food safety, creating consumer awareness. FSSAI registration is mandatory whether it is a small business or large business. Other benefits includes:
- FSSAI license is crucial for exporting food products to other constituents.
- Food licensing authority regulates the important aspects of hygiene and cleanliness.
- FSSAI license or registration ensures food quality products that are as per the international food standards.
Annual Returns filed under FSSAI:
Annual returns for a period extending from 1st April to 31st March of the consecutive year must be promptly filed before the 31st of May of that year.
Procedure for obtaining FSSAI Registration:
|The first step would be submitting Form A application to the Food and Safety Department for obtaining FSSAI Registration.|
|This application can be accepted or it may be rejected by the Department within 7 days from the date of receipt of an application and the rejection has to be intimated to the applicant in writing|
|If the application is accepted by the department of the food business operator, then the department will grant a registration certificate which contains the registration number and photo of the applicant.|
|FBO should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours.|
Consequences of Non-Compliance of FSS Act, 2006:
Any food business operator who is registered under the FSSAI has to cohere to the rules and regulations under the FSS Act, 2006. On the basis of Checklist food safety officer conducts the inspection of food business operator’s prerequisite and identifies the level of compliance. There are various categories of compliance under which food safety officers can put the food business operator. Details of Compliance level are as follows:
- Partial compliance
- Not applicable
Renewal of FSSAI License:
The License is issued for a validity period of 1 year or 5 year, so the food business operator must apply for renewal of license 30 days prior to the expiry of ongoing license. Food business operator can also apply online for the licenses.
There are the five regional offices for the issue of licenses. Details are:
- Northern Region-New Delhi
- Eastern Region-Kolkata
- North Eastern Region-Guwahati
- Western Region-Mumbai and Kerala
- Southern Region-Chennai
Penalty for Non-compliance of FSS Act, 2006:
Various types of the non compliance are as follows:-
|Type of Offence:||Penalty may extend upto:|
|Penalty Penalty for selling food not of the nature or substance or quality demanded||Rs 5 Lakh|
|Penalty for sub-standard food||Rs. 5 lakh|
|Penalty for misbranded food||Rs. 3 lakh|
|Penalty for misleading advertisement||Rs. 10 lakh|
|Penalty for food containing extraneous matter||Rs. 1 lakh|
|Penalty for failure to comply with the directions of Food Safety Officer||Rs. 2 lakh|
|Penalty for unhygienic or unsanitary processing or manufacturing of food||Rs. 1 lakh|
|Penalty for contraventions for which no specific penalty is provided||Rs 2 lakh|
* Food License can be applied online and you can reach out for your grievances at CMHO Office, Sethi Colony, Jaipur, Rajasthan- 302004.